(For any one who is interested in Bharata natyam; Carnatic music or Bhajans should have heard this word.)
Though we had ancient singers & writers, the concept of Hindu Bhajans are not too ancient.
Around year 1800, “Marudanalluru Sadguru swamy” ane Telugu person living in Tamil nadu use to sing his favorite 5 songs in an order every day .. That is what now became the cult of south Indian Bhajanas..
The original “Thodaya Mangalam” songs include
1. Jaya janaki ramana by Ramadasu
2. Saranu Saranu Surendra sannuta by Annamayya
3. Murahara naga dara Mukunda Madhava by Annamayya
4. Devesa ganaa raadhitha by Vijaya Gopala Swamy
5. madhava bhavatu they mangalam by Vijaya gopal swamy
aa tarvata evadi bhakti koddi vadu; evadi pichi koddi vadu Ayyappa ni , Sivudini, Saibaba ni add cheskuntu poyaru ..
In the beginning of 1900’s Bala gangadhar Tilak popularized these Bhajans & added some Marathi touch ..
Summary: IF YOU ARE A CULT, UNDERSTAND WHY YOU ARE IN THAT CULT!!
P.S: Annamayya famous kabatti , I use to think all are annamayya… Later I think it is only respectful to give credit to the right author.. It all started there